Powering The Drill Zone

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Going Through Some Notes

I was going through some notes I found today and came across a quote that I instantly disagreed with. I don't usually put stuff up here unless I agree with it but I couldn't help it with this one.

Great coaches do the same thing the 1st day of practice and the last day of practice
every year. Dick Bennet

As an adult I struggle daily with my attention span, how can my 16-18 year old kids be expected to stay on task and work hard if I am doing the same exact drill sequence for the 65th time that year. I have seen coaches get so mad that their kids aren't focused in the last two weeks of the season. Could this be that they are tired of the same old drills everyday? Is their a drill that is so important that it must be done every practice? I think these are all things that we should ask ourselves as the season is getting ready to start.

I'm not suggesting that repetition isn't a good thing, but just throwing out some thoughts that might help us. What are you going to do to capture a teenagers attention today that matches texting, youtube, their significant other, or whatever else they have in their lives.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure that the quote means do the same thing for every practice - that doesn't seem like Bennet's style.

    Sounds like he is saying that you have a routine worked out to open and to close the season.

    I certainly be completely wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. EDIT: I certainly could be completely wrong...

    ReplyDelete